Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Re: [ORE] Perfect Copy

Okay, I went with Touch Only for the Perceive DNA power:

Perceive DNA 5hd (U; 1/die; 10 pts)

Useful Extras & Flaws: Subtle +1, Touch Only -2. Capacity: Touch.

Effect: You can read a subject's DNA by touching them, skin to skin. You will learn everything about them which can be learned by DNA. Subtle makes it very hard to notice you're doing anything other than shaking hands or whatever your excuse for touching someone is. You can even compare DNA of two samples with a multiple action (Which automatically succeeds thanks to five hard dice).

5hd because comparing DNA is kind of a thing for the player, and 5hd lets her do it in one convenient multiple action, though I did offer the option of doing it with 2hd if the hero samples the second sample in the turn following the first sample.

Now, to revisit the variable effect issue...

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 1:20:43 AM UTC-7, Daniel M. Kane wrote:
The big difference is that Dead Ringer can do more than one thing.  "Turn into one particular person" is specific enough that it's covered by a single Useful quality IMHO, like "Useful (turn into my opposite-gender alter ego): Subtle +1, Self-Only -3".

This is where I disconnect. The power doesn't turn into one specific person, because she's free to take a new sample at any time. It's also suppose to be a perfect disguise: DNA, fingerprints, retina, etc.

Perhaps just the free change power and some sort of hyperskill for perfecting the disguise is a better way to go?
 
Variable Effect = emulating powers.

Maybe using the Cafeteria Power for my baseline comparison is skewing my understanding. The Dead Ringer Power I'm basing this on has the combination of Variable Effect +4 and If/Then (Variable Effect is only for choosing different appearances) -1. I understand that to mean the variable effect is limited to the choosing of new forms?

If the effect isn't considered variable because it's limited by the DNA reading, I guess I can see it, though the character can pretty easily touch someone else.

What if it was Dead Ringer with Touch Only? And while I'm looking at Dead Ringer, it also doesn't have the self only flaw? Oversight by the designers? Or something I'm missing? And actually Alternate Forms also doesn't have Self Only on any of the qualities. What am I missing?

As is, I have this:

Useful (Doppelganger) Extras & Flaws: Endless +3, Variable Effect +4, If/Then (Only the Form of the Most Recent DNA Reading) -1, If/Then (Variable Effect is only for choosing different appearances) -1, Self Only -3. Capacity: Self.


The player wanted to be able to hold the last reading 'in memory.'  So I traded Attached for If/Then (Only the Last DNA Read). This way she can shift back and forth between that last read disguise at will. With attached, she'd have to re-sample the DNA every time.

4 points/die on top of the free change power. I'm tempted to take the lowering just because the free change power is already doing the heavy lifting.

If I drop the variable effect and the if/then, cost drops to 1/die. Part of me thinks 1/die is reasonable only because she's already able to shift forms at will. This just lets her perfect the disguise. Hell... maybe this should be a disguise hyperskill instead.

I'm probably being too picky over a few points. But I want to make sure the power work like the player wants.

Thanks,

John

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cult of ORE" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cult-of-ore+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to cult-of-ore@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cult-of-ore.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment